Oh bother! That’s right ladies and gentlemen! Yet another adaptation of Shakespeare’s famous romantic tragedy Romeo and Juliet! Never has there been a play with more screen adaptations but this was a unique version of sorts. With the help of young Hollywood and a lack of enthusiasm for all things “authentic” we have the first in a tidal wave of modern day versions of a Shakespearean play! Well, to follow this schtick of making you really confused about Shakespeare they also managed a very modern soundtrack to go along with all that Elizabethan dialogue and drama…you know, cause it’s hip of junk.
In all honesty I really do love this soundtrack! With Shakespeare I always thought it’s been really played out (I wasn’t looking for a pun but there I go) and to have this version of the two households told with visual grit…I really had to stop smiling at the priest and Mercutio scenes….just awesome! The soundtrack reflected the gritty and romantic scenes really well even if the radio did run Des’ree and The Cardigans dry as a desert! And it is sadly where we will see the last of Garbage for a while so I’m glad the song is amazing. And if anyone really cares, the score album is freakin’ magical! It has incredibly dramatic dialogue from the movie mixed with amazing orchestral music! And even if you think you don’t like the movie…DiCaprio is amazing it it…just awesome!
- “#1 Crush” – Garbage – 4:47
- “Local God” – Everclear – 3:56
- “Angel” – Gavin Friday – 4:19
- “Pretty Piece of Flesh” – One Inch Punch – 4:53
- “Kissing You (Love Theme from Romeo + Juliet)” – Des’ree – 4:58
- “Whatever (I Had a Dream)” – Butthole Surfers – 4:09
- “Lovefool” – The Cardigans – 3:19
- “Young Hearts Run Free” – Kym Mazelle – 4:16
- “Everybody’s Free (To Feel Good)” – Quindon Tarver – 1:43
- “To You I Bestow” – Mundy – 3:59
- “Talk Show Host” – Radiohead – 4:17
- “Little Star” – Stina Nordenstam – 3:40
- “You and Me Song” – The Wannadies – 2:55