Pointing this out immediately: I am not a particular fan of this soundtrack or movie! This is not because I really have anything against the acting or the music itself, I hate that Emma was butchered! I would probably still enjoy this movie if it hadn’t been for film studies in high school…thanks for ruining a pretty okay movie for me education! But that’s not my only snit with it but I’ll move on to the positive stuff.
Clueless was a rare movie that made you think “Dear God! Do I act like that?!” sort of like what Valley Girl did for the 80’s generation. At least the characters acted like the songs in the soundtrack. The opening song was a track called “Supermodels” for crying out loud! Yet, I can’t help but notice that this soundtrack is filled with a lot of “Hey! Where’d they go?” artists. To put it mildly, these songs were the voice for the last Generation Y’s and we sounded like airheads. Like they were trying to make the kids cool by putting Coolio and Beastie’s on there…but “Kids in America”? I hated that song after this movie! You could fucking escape it!
…I do miss Brittany Murphy though.
- “Kids in America” (The Muffs)
- “Shake Some Action” (David Lowery)
- “The Ghost in You” (Counting Crows)
- “Here” (Squirmel Mix) (Luscious Jackson)
- “All the Young Dudes” (World Party)
- “Fake Plastic Trees [Acoustic Version]” (Radiohead)
- “Change” (Lightning Seeds)
- “Need You Around” (Smoking Popes)
- “Mullet Head” (Beastie Boys)
- “Where’d You Go?” (The Mighty Mighty Bosstones)
- “Rollin’ with My Homies” (Coolio)
- “Alright” (Supergrass)
- “My Forgotten Favorite” (Velocity Girl)
- “Supermodel” (Jill Sobule)